Foundation Review: theBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer in Lighter than Light

5:20 PM

Its time for another foundation review! I came across swatches of the theBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer in the shade Lighter than Light and knew I needed to head out to Khols and swatch it for myself. Surprisingly when I did so, the swatch impressed me as much as the pictures! I shopped around to see if the swatches would oxidize after an hour or so and I was pleasantly surprised when they did not!


This product retails for $25 for 2.15 fl oz (compare to Tarte's which is $36 for 1.7 fl oz), it doesn't get any better than that. It claims to be "weightless" and to "improve the look of your skin's tone and texture, leaving a polished complexion". Pretty vague, but I guess that's good so that there's not impossible standards to live up to.

As far as color its nice and pale with neutral leaning yellow undertones. I tend to prefer a neutral base even though I most definitely have cool toned skin, because cool toned products always seem orange on me. Although this is slightly yellow, it doesn't clash with my skintone since it is very sheer.


I primed with theSaem pore primer (can't ever remember the actual name) and set my face with the Hard Candy primer spray as setting spray. I wore it for 9 hours with no touch ups.

product applied to left side of face
product on entire face
Immediately after application, my skin is evened, but the coverage is obviously very sheer. It can be built up to light coverage, but I'm usually too lazy to do so. It gives a nice, dewy finish that is very skinlike.

full face done
I did my first check in at 5 hours, and I looked pretty good. I was a bit oily, but nothing major. Where my glasses touch my cheek was rubbed off a bit, but that was definitely due to the concealer, not the tinted moisturizer. There was slight clinging to dry spots on my nose and chin.



At the 9 hour mark, I was looking pretty dang good. I didn't get pictures (I almost never do I'm a terrible reviewer I'm sorry okay), but I honestly didn't look that much different from the 5 hour mark; I was pretty oily as to be expected, but my pores weren't huge like they can sometimes get by the end of the day. The clinging areas were still there, but there was no new clinging. I really feel like if I needed to, I could have powdered at this point and gotten a few more hours of wear out of it.

Overall I give this an 8/10. I wish the color selection was better/cooler, but other than that I don't really have many complaints. If it didn't cling to dry areas I would have bumped it up to a 9.

You Might Also Like

0 comments