Foundation Review: Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet Mattifying Foundation in 15

4:23 PM

When I first was introduced to Makeup Forever's Mat Velvet foundation in the shade 15 I thought I had found it. (Spoiler: I hadn't). Nonetheless I still do enjoy this foundation. It has neutral undertones, maybe leaning slightly cool; and has a matte finish which, at the time of sampling this, I was a huge fan of. .

It retails for $39, and promises  "shine-controlling, complete coverage". I take fault with the "complete coverage" part as I do not believe this is a full coverage foundation (although I do believe it could be built up to an almost full coverage), but it does seem to control my oil somewhat. Sadly its already too dark when I apply it (altho it doesnt look that way in the pics) and does oxidize a lil bit.


I wore this with my the Saem pore primer and Wet N Wild setting spray as I ran out of my Loreal one and just happened to have this one.  It was worn for 7 hours. Excuse the fact that I look like an egg in these pics.

left half of face has mufe mat velvet, right is bare

full face covered with foundation only
After being first applied, it dries down completely matte, almost to a powder consistency. It is a somewhat natural looking fuller coverage foundation. I got medium coverage from one layer. It sits nicely on the skin, looking somewhat natural. It does indeed dry matte. I didn't notice any clinging to dry areas, and it seemed to cover my pores better than most foundations.
i have some dry areas on my chin, but its not clinging

pores look almost nonexistent, which is huge for me
After about 4 hours it still look about the same, my pores were a little more visible than before, but nothing major. It also had settled ever so slightly into my smile lines, but again nothing major.
3 hours of wear, pores slightly visible
Then I did once last check in at about 7 hours of wear. It honestly still look pretty damn good. It was clinging ever so slightly to some dry patches on my chin, but nothing that was super noticeable. Overall my skin just looked a little more textured and pores were again, more visible. I was significantly less oily than I usually am after this long of wear.


no foundation stays on my nose where my glasses rub so thats not a concern
I really do like this foundation I just wish it came in a shade lighter like maybe 10 since this is 15. Even though I don't prefer a matte finish, this doesn't leave me looking super flat at all. I can easily dew up my face with highlighter and setting spray. The wear time is pretty impressive and I love the amount of coverage. It evens my skin without looking like a mask. Overall I'd give it a 8/10. Would get a 9 if it matched me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments