YSL Vernis à Lèvres Glossy Stain in 5 Rouge Vintage Review

11:39 AM

I've been flirting with the idea of buying myself a YSL product for awhile now, but could never pull the trigger. I was particularly interested in the lip stains, since they are pretty much a cult favorite and just looked so damn good in every swatch I saw. I finally gave in and treated myself recently when I was able to swatch them for the first time (lorddddddd), which brings me to this review (as if this product needed another review, there's a shit ton out there).

The YSL Veris a Levres Glossy Stains retail for $36 for .20 fl oz (compare to the Lancome Juicy Shakers which go for $22 with .22 fl oz). Like I said, this was a splurge, okay. I got the shade 5 Rouge Vintage which actually doesn't have any color description anywhere that I can find, which is annoying. I would describe it as a cool toned reddish/berryish color? I'm really bad at colors I don't know. (sorry these pics are a bit old)


When applying, I find that I really have to make sure my lips are not damp at all, and I usually blot the inside of my bottom lip to provide more even application. Otherwise it applies as shown below, somewhat uneven.



an hour after application
This product is supposed to be a "revolutionary" product that "combines the texture and shine of a gloss with the long wear of a stain". I would agree that this is both very shiny/glossy and long lasting. I might even agree with the "revolutionary" claim...


after four hours + coffee 
When I say long lasting I seriously mean it. Most lip products do not last nearly as long as me as they do on my people. I usually like to completely remove my lipstick (no matter if its liquid or bullet, satin/matte/glossy) and reapply anywhere from an hour after wearing it to three. For most products anything more I look like a hot mess. Keep that in mind when I say that I am able to wear this lip product for FIVE HOURS before my lips even BEGIN to start looking not as nice. I actually wore this for 7 HOURS and still looked presentable. It even lasts through meals (albeit there is significant fading, and I do usually remove and reapply after eating). This seriously impressed me.

after 4 hours + a meal (salad)
after 8 hours + constant talking/less water than usual
Keep in mind I did not reapply for any of these check ins. My lips felt hydrated the entire time, I did not feel the need to apply a chaptstick over top or anything like that.

Overall I give this a 10/10. Its kind of a miracle for someone like me who has difficulty with lip products lasting. I really wish the price point wasn't so up there, because I literally want all of them.


You Might Also Like

0 comments